As part of our Alphabet Photography project we went around Bournemouth town and the pier in search of potential letters. Here are some of the ones we found. I found this project quite interesting in a sense that it took some interpretive creativity to find some interesting letters.
As one of my mini projects I was paired up with one of my course mates and we were set the task of taking photos of objects that looked like the letters of the alphabet.
In this group project, the six of us were given a brief to create a website and a series of videos based on a selection of topics. The website is used to host these videos and provide further information on them. As a group we decided to go for the topic of technology. Under this we decided to create a product that may or may not exist. We created and developed the idea of a contact lens that augments your vision, enhancing your ability to carry out everyday tasks. Following similar ideas and concepts to google glass but following a more organic feel rather than a set of physical glasses. We also decided to come up with a company that would be the developers of this augmented technology, that name was ‘Convex’ (The name reflecting the idea of something curved and natural looking).
One member of the group created this logo and as group we went through many colour schemes deciding the best three colours.
I was part of the video production, getting the footage for the video series. I came up with the idea of emphasising how life is difficult with the Convex lens and how easy it is with it. Giving the ‘before’ scenes a grungy black and white filter over the video and the ‘after’ scenes in high contrast with brighter colours compared to the ‘before’ scenes.
This is a piece of work testing different colours with a repeated vector I created using an online Photoshop tutorial. I like the idea of taking something of simplicity and creating quite a complex graphic design. I thought of making one side of the design a simple grey and the other side a whole range of colours to exemplify how different colours can catch your eye. I decided to use brighter colours rather than dark to make them stand out compared to the grey side of the work.
I have continued working on my portfolio website, focussing on content and creating fully functioning animations. Once all content is uploaded to the site i’m going to change the background into a gif animation of moving clouds to give the website a more interesting edge. I have added a ‘Latest Work’ bar in the footer of the website. This feature displays my newest work, which can be quickly accessed from the home page.
My next steps are creating a logo for the website and an animated background. I chose visual simplicity over visual complexity because I did not want to clutter the home page and other pages with work, links and general information. I have created the website in such a way that the user has to navigate and explore without a cluttered screen. I feel that some websites overload their homepages with information resulting in the user getting lost and confused. Therefore by having my website’s navigation in a central position the user can easily find their way around the site.
The about page and portfolio page need further development and content (Adding more work, designs and my CV). I’m looking to finish this website by the beginning of march.
Here’s a link to my portfolio site: http://dakar.bournemouth.ac.uk/~hstevens/
I have almost finished my portfolio website that I have been working on for the past few weeks. I have tested many colour schemes and layouts for this website to find something I really like. This layout proved to be the best (not including the background), I decided to create a design that was simplistic and user friendly -having the navigation bar in a central position. The website contains three pages. An about page giving information about me as a designer as well as my skills and CV. A portfolio page showcasing all my designs that I have created over the years of studying media. The blog button takes you directly to my current wordpress blog and a contact page displaying my contact information.
I’m going to start focussing on creating animations for hovering and clicking the navigation buttons on the homepage to make the portfolio site more sophisticated. I’m also thinking of changing the background to static clouds instead of the current image as it is not mine. In the coming months I will have a fully responsive website that will only require updates of my latest work added to the portfolio page and additional changes to my CV when I gain more experience in the industry.
(I do not own the background image of this website design)
This was an experiment turning a group of photos into a comic style. This design was inspired by a ‘The Dark Knight’ poster of the joker with his back turned. Experimenting with dark grungy colours and creating cracked textures on buildings and the road.